Thursday 2 May 2013

BB Cream for Porcelain Princesses

Hello Princesses! 

Today I thought I'd update my current BB Cream collection!
As you might know I did a couple of reviews on the BB Creams I already own (Here and Here!) and they are probably the most searched photos on my blog! I figured since I got a new camera I should take some new photo's (because let's be honest, the old ones are kinda terrible quality).

I'm a pretty pale girl, (probably one of the palest people I know) and it can be really difficult to find foundation, concealer and BB Cream that will actually match my skin tone! Finding the palest colours generally work, but I have a very yellow skin tone and the shades labeled "porcelain" are almost always too pink . 
Pretty lame huh. 

So I have decided to help out some of my fellow pale princesses with swatches of my collection of BB Creams!

In New Zealand, there not very many BB Creams that are readily available. If you want to try Asian BB Creams such as Missha, Skin 79, Dr Jart etc you have to be in Auckland as there is only one mall I know of that sells these. If you can't find a local retailer you will have to buy online which can be very risky considering that you won't know the "real" colour of the BB Cream! 

Before we go any further lets have a short overview about what a BB Cream actually is. 

BB Cream stands for blemish balm, blemish base, beauty balm or beblesh balm. It's a cosmetic item sold mainly in East and Southeast Asia, although larger beauty brands are increasingly introducing BB Creams to the Western markets. A BB Cream is promoted to be an all-in-one facial cosmetic product designed to replace serum, moisturizer, primer, foundation and sunblock. It can be worn alone as a tinted moisturizer, over serum and moisturizer as a regular foundation, and under powder, depending on the desired amount of coverage. What became BB cream was originally formulated in the 1960s in Germany by dermatologist Dr. Christine Schrammek to protect her patients' skin after surgery. Introduced to South Korea and Japan in 1985 – where healthy-looking, porcelain skin is heavily prized – the cream was hailed as "the secret of Korean actresses," and was heavily endorsed by Korean celebrities.  
BB creams come in a variety of different formulations. Because Korean companies focused initially on the Korean and East Asian markets, they are offered in a limited number of hues, instead of offering multiple shades for different skin tones, most formulas are designed to oxidize to match the user's skin tone. The skin-whitening properties of the cream, as sold in the Asian market, are an important element in its popularity. [1]

One of the biggest concerns when trying out a new BB Cream is the level of oxidization. This is when the BB Cream changes colour according to your skin tone. Some BB Creams change noticeably, while some do not. It's important to be able to try a BB Cream on your skin and then see it again after about 20 minutes to see how the colour has adapted. A lot of BB Creams can appear "ashy" when first applied, (a common complaint in the Skin 79 Hot Pink BB Cream)

So lets have a look at the BB Cream I currently own

Skin 79 BB Cream - Hot Pink
Skin 79 BB Cream - VIP Gold
Skin 79 BB Cream - Diamond the Prestige
Skin 79 BB Cream - Diamond Pearl Luminescence
Missha Signature Complete BB Cream - 21         
Hanskin Silky Treatment BB Cream
I always test any type of foundation, BB Cream or Concealer on the underside of my arm

You can see the difference in consistency and colour between the BB Creams. The Garnier BB Cream is incredibly orange while the Skin 79 generally have a more grey tone.
 The Diamond Pear Luminescence is so glittery!
The Missha Signature Complete BB Creams are more runny in consitency compared to the Missha Perfect Cover BB Cream and the Hanskin BB Cream. 
 The Signature Complete BB Cream is slightly paler and yellower in tone than the Perfect Cover BB Cream.  
 Here are all of the BB Creams freshly applied.
And all of the BB Creams Oxidized. You can see how the BB Creams have changed in colour, most shockingly the Garnier BB Cream .
The Garnier BB Cream looks fake-tan orange and also hasn't applied evenly. Splotchy orange BB Cream isn't attractive. The Skin 79 BB Creams oxidize pretty well but you can see they are still going to be way too dark for pale skin tones. The Pearl BB Cream is the right colour, but I just can't stand the glitter. It makes me look sweaty and that's just not cute. 
Both of the shade 13 Missha BB Creams are the right colour, but you can see the Signature Complete BB Cream is ever so slightly paler.
When I wear my BB Creams on a daily basis I mix them with my day moisturizer since I find the coverage to be very full for all of them. Mixing the BB Creams with moisturizer makes them a little more sheer and appropriate for school. 

I generally wear Missha's Signature Complete - 13 mixed with the darker Skin 79 BB Creams (not the pearl) or Missha's Signature Complete - 21 so I don't look too washed out. The Signature Complete - 13 is perfect if I want to go through the trouble of contouring and highlighting, but I only really do that for special performances or events.

To be honest I am going to sell the Garnier BB Cream. The colour is so so so far away from my skin tone that it's not funny, it was barely even acceptable when I was at my tannest during summer (if you want a full review click Here!) Considering it's the lightest out of the Garnier range, I'm incredibly disappointed. Not everybody in New Zealand is tan guys! 

The Skin 79 BB Creams were really neat to try, and super cheap since they are miniatures. I totally recommend trying BB Creams in miniature packs or tester packs if you can. That way you won't get stuck with a huge tub of BB Cream that is not suited to your skin tone! You can read my full review of the Skin 79 BB Cream's Here!

I hope you guys found this useful in your search for BB Creams ^^  Let me know down below if there are any super pale BB Creams you think I should  try out!

25 comments:

  1. Awesome review! Your collection of BB cream is amazing. I tried out 3-4 different bb creams and they just never suited me so I've given up trying to find one altogether. I just stick to regular foundation. :(

    I'm so jealous of people who found bb cream that suits them though! Their skin usually looks really nice and healthy. *_* The Diamond Pearl looks so pretty but definitely not for your whole face! I think glitter is not meant to cover the whole face. :/ Anyways, thanks for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that's no good! :c I always find that BB Creams are super "dewy" looking and always need a finishing powder, but the Diamond Pearl brings the dewy look to a whole new level! >< Looks cute as a highlighter though!

      Delete
    2. you shouldn't give up try the precious mineral bb creams from Etude House or the holika holika aqua petit jelly bb cream

      Delete
  2. Can you do a review of the Missha BB creams? I want to know the difference between the formulas of the Perfect Cover and the Signature Real Complete, and I'd also like to see them compared to the Skin79 BB cream. It's cuz I use the Skin79 right now and it's quite a bit dark on me and I'm going to get a Missha BB in #13 but I can't decide which one, the Signature Real Complete or the Perfect Cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! The review might take a couple of days, but in the meantime the main difference between the Signature complete and Perfect Cover BB Creams is the texture and coverage. The Perfect Cover has a thicker texture and more coverage while the Signature Complete is more sheer with less coverage. I found that the Perfect Cover is as thick as my Skin 79 while the Signature complete is far more sheer than the Skin 79. Hope this is helpful! ^^

      Delete
  3. Aww, it's a shame you have yellower undertones. Otherwise I'd just copy all your purchases. Haha. I'm not quite as pale. Missha #21 for me. I keep finding things that are too yellow for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow I seem to always have the opposite problem! ><

      Delete




  4. HaHa...I'll try to do some sketch when i got the time...





    Porcelain Tile

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the detailed review, maybe you could suggest something for my dry skin. Im pale with a yellow/grayish skin tone.
    In the summer i am using Italian Kiko BB Cream SPF 15 light (or maybe it was neutral), its the closest match i have found yet, but only in summer.
    During the winter it is too dark and looks a bit too orange.
    If i want i can tan pretty well, but when i am not tanning its just a nightmare to find a bb cream or even harder a foundation.
    They all are just too colorful (orange or pink).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where and which in Auckland mall do they sell Asian BB creams?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! I made the mistake of buying the Garnier BB cream when it first came out here (Ireland). I was so excited to find a BB cream that I didn't have to order online, but it was a huge orange disappointment... I have just purchased Misha Perfect Cover 13 based on your wonderful review and photos. I am super pale but probably a bit pinker-toned than you. Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also have both of Missha's BB Creams! And Skin79 Hot Pink BB Cream too, but I use the Missha one more because they're more matte finish and have more coverage which I really love! Great review by the way^^

    ☼ ☀Summer Solstice☀ ☼

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was thinking about Skin79 Hot Pink BB Cream, but i see that they are very dark and my skin is pale :/ oh, so hard to choose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the Skin79's are on the paler side of a lot of BB Creams, so i wouldn't discount them entirely! You can find testers of the Skin79 everywhere! The Missha 13's are super super pale (:

      Delete
  10. Hi Becca,
    I just want to say a BIG Thank You for this article and photos. I am 30 and something :) and I was desperately looking for some pale concealer, as I am natural freckled, pale redhead. Somebody has advised to somebody ... :) on Yahoo answers to try Missha BB cream No. 13. A was hesitating a bit, and have even found some other concealers suitable for my skin, it seemed impossible to ship any luxurious brand to Slovakia :( :( /for orientation, middle Europe/. Finally, I ordered the above mentioned BB creme yesterday, as it is sold in our country, but only online. It was a risk, but now when I saw your swatches, I was pleased.
    Again, I want to thank you for your post, it is really necessary to have some information about the cosmetics for Snow whites. It seems we are completely ignored by the cosmetic brands.
    Anyway, if you will be looking for a concealer, I can suggest you NARS Radiant creamy concealer, MAC concealers, Estee Lauder Double wear concealer, Collection 2000 concealer, Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage Concealer.

    Bye!

    Adriana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adriana!

      YAY I'm so glad I could help you! Thank you so much for the concealer suggestions, I'm actually looking for a new one! I hope the Missha No.13 works out well for you! xx

      Delete
  11. What's the shade name for missha 13? Milk something? I tried looking for "very pale" name one but couldn't find it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! It's literally just called No.13, sometimes it's called it "Bright Beige" as well.

      Delete
  12. OMG!!! You have no idea how happy I am to have found your review on bb creams because I have the exact same skin tone as you and been having SO SO SO MANY problems with finding the right color! :-( I have just received my Missha bb cream (#13) off of eBay and it's PERFECT!! You are truly a lifesaver!! Words can't describe how happy I am right now! THANK YOU!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weee! I'm so glad you liked it and that I somewhat helped! ^.^ Enjoy your new BB Cream!

      Delete
  13. Thanks so much for these swatches. I have the missha perfect cover but it is too pink on me. I will try the signature complete bb next!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for this! My skin is fair and cool/neutral-toned but NOT pink. I have the gold skin79 bb cream and the greyish cast works great but it does oxidize a little dark for me. This is so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have you ever tested the Erborian BB cream? It only comes in two shades, both of which are probably too dark for you, but I'm very curious about the product!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I searched exactly for these kind of informations for a month! Looked through thousands of youtube videos and read millions reviews. I wish I found this article before I ordered Missha Perfect Cover in color 21, now I'm sure that will be dark for me. I should have to order color 13.. Next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you just ordered number 13 missha. I was literally using clarity lasertox only because of my skin color

    ReplyDelete

This blog is no longer run or moderated. Please visit me at beccam.net if you want to chat!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...