Wednesday 27 May 2015

Review - Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Even Finish Compact Foundation

Hello Princesses!

Today I'm going to be talking about my never ending struggle with the Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Even Finish Compact Foundation in the shade 00 Alabaster! You may remember some of these photos from the time that I bought this foundation and ranted about customer service, and it may be a surprise that I bought this foundation in October 2013 and haven't reviewed it yet, despite the colour being absolutely perfect.
The foundation comes housed in a chic compact with a hidden compartment for a sponge. It's super travel friendly since it's a cream formula, and you can bring it along with you for touch ups if you like (though I'm usually too lazy for that). The inside of the compact gets quite dirty quite quickly which isn't great, but generally unavoidable for compact formulas of any kind.

"What Is It
Your can't-live-without, long-wearing liquid foundation—in a fuss-free compact. Perfectly matched to skin tone and texture, this formula never looks fake or makeup-y, just like smooth, even skin.  
Whose It For
Anyone who wants a medium to full coverage oil-free foundation that lasts for up to 12 hours (even in the most humid conditions).
Why's It Different
A special film former provides flexible coverage that feels like skin. Plus, it’s completely portable, with a hidden sponge applicator right in the compact so you look polished wherever you go.
How To Use
For a flawless finish, we recommend using an oil-free moisturizer to prep skin. To avoid adding extra oil from your fingers when applying foundation, use a brush or sponge to even out skin."(1)
Ingredients
"Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Silica, Tribehenin, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Caprylic/Capric/Myristic/Stearic Triglyceride, Ozokerite, Lauryl Methacrylate/Glycol Dimethacrylate Crosspolymer, Polyethylene, Dimethicone, Trihydroxystearin, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Lecithin, Caprylyl Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Simethicone. +/-Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Mica." (2)

I was so disappointed to see the amount of product in this $90NZD compact when I opened it fully, no wonder I'm halfway through the compact already - there's so little in there!
Like I mentioned before, this foundation is a spot on colour for me. It's pale, warm/yellow toned and just generally amazing. If you're wondering why I haven't purchased the other formulas, it's because New Zealand doesn't stock them in the shade 00 Alabaster. *BOO* 
Upon immediate application, I find this foundation difficult to blend. If I use a brush I get streaky brush marks everywhere, if I use a sponge I fare a little better, but it takes forever and starts to look patchy after blending. This foundation leaves me with a soft, satiny matte finish which I adore! I don't need to set my cheeks, but I do need to set my T-Zone as usual. 
After about 3 hours, this foundation starts to split up around my chin and nose, it basically looks like I need to blend it again! After 6 hours, my face is blotchier and absolutely swimming in oil. The foundation wears off patchily (I can see my nose and under eye freckles) and if I nudge something with my face a whole bunch of oily makeup will slide off. Forget itching your face or taking off your sweater while keeping your face intact.
My cheeks usually look quite nice, even after 6 hours, but the rest of my face is not so fortunate. I would need to bring a blending brush/sponge, translucent powder and blotting paper to keep this foundation looking fresh throughout the day. I've tried many tactics to crack the code on this expensive foundation, but in 1 and a half years and half a compact, I'm still absolutely stumped on how to keep it looking good.


What I Love
- Great colour for me (massive shade range too)
- Beautiful finish initially


What I Don't Love
- Difficult to blend initially
- Gives an unblended appearance after 3 hours
- Awfully oily after 6 hours (claiming to be oil free for 12 hours!)
- Can wipe it off with fingers after 6 hours (gross)
- Tiniest amount of product for $90NZD
 Final Thoughts
I love the colour and initial finish of this foundation, but it just looks awful after three hours! I have no idea what's making it look so bad, some foundations I own do have this effect (NARS Sheer Glow I see you there) but not quite as bad. I actually regret spending $90NZD on this foundation because it's given me nothing but trouble! I'll be experimenting with it until I finish the compact because there is no way this stupidly expensive foundation is beating me!

I would hesitantly recommend this foundation to any Princesses who may have drier skin because I feel like the cream formula may be kinder to drier skin rather than oily skin. I don't recommend this to anyone who has very oily skin as it will need touching up after three hours. 

4 comments:

  1. The product looks at the beginning, to bad it didn't work for you... I also thin k that it maybe just to Matte for you

    Maya
    Beautish-bymaya.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The initial finish is really lovely and satiny, I think that the cream formula just doesn't really work for me (: Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Your sunscreen may not be working with tour foundation! Have you tried it with a water-based primer? Also I think you really need to try the Innisfree Longwear Cushion if you haven't already!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was suggested to me by the Bobbi Brown ladies, but even when they use their own skincare and such on my skin and applied the same compact, but I had the same results :C

      Delete

This blog is no longer run or moderated. Please visit me at beccam.net if you want to chat!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...