Wednesday 15 June 2016

Review: Lime Crime Unicorn Lipstick

Hello Princesses!
Today I'm going to be talking about the Lime Crime Unicorn Lipsticks! I have the wearable shades in this collection, I didn't bother purchasing the extravagant colours like blue or yellow because it's a total waste of money since I know that I would never ever wear those shades. 

If you do not like Lime Crime and do not wish to support them, feel free to stop reading this post now. The majority of these products were purchased before the massive scandals involving LC came out and I simply wanted to complete the collection, review them, and get rid the ones I will not use. This review contains my own thoughts on the lipsticks with no reference to any of the rumours about the brand. Please keep your opinions on this brand to yourself.
"Long lasting, highly pigmented lipstick with gentle sheen in a pale nude hue.

Bold, opaque & recklessly loaded with pigment. For lips that speak louder than words!

Ingredients: Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Octyldodecanol, Mica CI 77019, Polyethylene, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Ozokerite, Microcrystalline Wax, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Extract (and) Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract (and) Helianthus Anuus (Sunflower) Extract (and) Tocopherols, Fragrance, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E Acetate), Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin. MAY CONTAIN [+/-]: Iron Oxides CI 77491 CI 77492 CI 77499, Titanium Dioxide CI 77891, Blue # 1 Lake CI 42090, Red 7 Lake CI 15850, Red 22 Lake CI 45380, Red 28 Lake CI 45410, Red 30 Lake CI 73360, Manganese Violet CI 77742, Yellow 5 Lake CI 19140."(1)

These lipsticks come packaged in extravagant purple packaging with holographic unicorns and stars. The bullet is undecorated and the lipstick is scented with Vanilla.


Nudes

The classic nudes contain Coquette and Babette, though I did purchase Eraser in the hopes that it would be a good coloured nude for my skin. I absolutely hate the formula of these three shades, they all apply way too thickly, look chalky on the lips and accentuate any flaws on my lips.
Coquette
Coquette is a beautiful pale nude shade.

This is a beautiful shade for my skin tone, but it just has an awful formula. The lipstick is so thick, even with one swipe I need to blot my lips to get some of the lipstick off because it just looks thick and disgusting.
It really emphasises any flaws in my lips, lines, cuts or just dry flakes. Even when the camera isn't so close to my face I can still see how thick it looks on my lips.
This is such a shame, because it really is a great colour for me! I will hunt down a dupe for this shade so I can keep the colour, but in a formula that is wearable for my lips.

Babette
Babette is a pink nude shade. This shade appears much pinker on the online swatches than it does in real life.
I had really high hopes for this shade, but it's not really pink on my lips. It also has the same thick formula as Coquette which I find quite unpleasant.
I applied this shade over lip balm because it is quite dry, and this does help a lot, but this is not a good formula for my lips. Like the other nudes, it makes them appear really cakey, dry and flawed.

It's not an awful shade on me, but it's not what I really expected either. The online swatch is much more vibrant and pink, whereas this appears very peachy on me. I don't like the colour enough to look for a dupe.
Eraser
Eraser is a peachy nude, the colour of erasers (apparently).
Eraser is quite matte on my lips, though it looks glossy in the promo pictures. Again, I hate this formula, it makes my lips appear dry and old. Ick.
I'm also not that keen on the colour of this lipstick, it's not really something I would go for normally.

Oranges and Purples
These are the orange and purple shades. I decided to try the purple shades because I quite like purple toned lip products, but D'Lilac is pretty interesting!

Cosmopop

Cosmopop is a pale peachy orange.
Cosmopop looks cute and peachy on the swatch, but it's not the best colour for my skin tone.
This also has the same thick formula that just looks awful on my lips. I can blot these colours to get rid of some of the thickness, but it doesn't end up looking any better really. It really clings in unfortunate places, though they do stain the lips quite quickly, one quite blot takes off the majority of the actual lipstick leaving the stain and some thick chunks behind. Ew.
While the colour itself doesn't make me look sick, I don't think it's a very good colour for my skin tone. I don't feel very pretty while wearing this colour.

My Beautiful Rocket


My Beautiful Rocket is a beautiful bright orange, very reminiscent of Fanta for me!
This shade is a little more up my alley, and has a bit of a better formula than the lighter shades so far.
This still emphasises a lot of flaws though, but since it isn't as chalky it's not as bad in real life.
I do actually like the colour on my skin though. I don't like it enough to look for the exact dupe of it.

D'Lilac
D'Lilac is a cool toned lilac shade.
D'Lilac is the most adventurous shade for me out of the bunch, I've never tried a lilac lipstick before! I'm not 100% sure about how much I like this colour, but I hate the formula for sure.
It's thick, but dry. Rub your lips together once and it disappears from the inside out. No thanks.
I'm not sure if I would pursue another Lilac lipstick, what do you Princesses think about this colour?

Airborne Unicorn
Airborne Unicorn is a pinky purple lilac.
Airborne Unicorn is also another shade I usually wouldn't purchase, but decided to branch out and try. This tube looks very worn because I did get this second hand off a friend, and sterilising the top does take away a fair chunk of it!
Like My Beautiful Rocket, this shade isn't awful in terms of texture, but it's not amazing either. Since it is glossier than most of the other shades it does hide the texture of my lips quite well, though since it is still quite thick it does look quite goopy. The colour is ok, though it's not my favourite or something that I would desperately try to replace.

Pinks
I am definitely a pink girl, so it's no surprise that the pink section of lipsticks is my favourite, aside from one which you may be able to tell from the below photo. What happened there!?

Great Pink Planet
Great Pink Planet is a pale milky pink with lavender tones.
This was the second shade I ever purchased, and I literally thought I had been sent an expired lipstick because the quality was just so poor.
I mean, that's just embarrassing to look at. It looks that bad, or worse in real life too. The formula is awful, thick, chalky and chunky. It makes my lips look like gross dried prunes, and the colour looks just awful on me to boot.
As you can see, blotting it makes no difference, it still looks just as awful, though much less pigmented. I think the colour looks gross on me, which is totally fine, not all colours will look good on everyone, but I think this has the worst quality and formula out of the range. It's a no from me.

Geradium
Geradium is a bright coral pink.
Geradium was the first shade I ever purchased, and I loved it from the moment I saw it. The formula is wonderful and the colour suits me well. This lipstick is why I kept purchasing more in the hopes that I would get the same great quality.
It doesn't accentuate any fine lines or flaws in my lips, and it makes them look nice and healthy. The colour is quite complimentary to my skin tone so I still absolutely love it.
I am going to have a hard time replacing this shade, it's one that I will potentially keep and use up in order to be less wasteful as I just love it so much!

Countessa Fluorescent
Countessa Fluorescent is a bright, blue based pink.
Countessa Fluorescent is not a shade I would have gone out and picked for myself if I wasn't completing the collection, though I actually quite like it!
With a glossier formula it is very flattering on my lips, though it is still quite thick in texture which can be uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time since you do have to reapply these quite often.
I do think the colour looks cute on my skin tone though, this is a shade I would look for a dupe for!


Reds
The three red shades are some of my favourites in terms of formula, since these are a lot glossier and easier to wear than the lighter shades.

Centrifuchsia
Centrifuchsia is a bright, berry toned pink.
This shade is another of my favourites, though it is very easily dupe-able for any berry toned pink.
However, the formula is head and shoulders above the majority of the shades. It has the thinnest formula, is slightly glossy without looking like a gloss, and has great pigmentation.
It makes my lips look really healthy and nice, the colour is also really pretty on my skin tone too! This is another shade I would consider keeping since I have used a fair amount of it already, but it won't be difficult to find a dupe for this considering it's just a nice berry tone.
Retrofuturist
Retrofuturist is a bright, blue based red.
The formula of this shade is nice, but nothing to write home about. The colour is the same, but I feel like it would be easily duped by any blue toned red.
Having said that, it applies nicely and wears well enough. Thought it is fair to say that I need a lip liner with this shade (or any dark shades!).
This shade looks nice with my skin tone, and it is a shade that I enjoy wearing!
Glamour101
 Glamour 101 is a deep brick red.
I had high hopes for this shade, but I find it hasn't got the greatest formula for my lips either. It's not awful, but it's not as smooth as the two previous red shades.

I'm not 100% sure about this colour to be honest, I don't think it looks that fantastic on my skin tone. What do you think?

I also made a little collage of all the shades I own! Some photos my look a little off because of how my camera adjusts the white balance, but the actual lipstick shades are true to life. Check out the comparison to the promotional shades above, an overuse of photoshop for sure.
What I Love
- The formula and colour of Geradium and Centrifuchsia
- Wide shade range


What I Don't Love
- The packaging (it reminds me of maxi tampons)
- Very poor quality for the lighter shades
- Quite expensive at $20USD
- Awful wear time and hard to reapply
- Impossible to blot without removing all lipstick 


Final Thoughts
I am glad they are discontinuing these lipsticks because in general I don't like them. I love Geradium and Centrifuchsia because the colours are beautiful and the formula is lovely, but the other shades are either average, easily dupe-able or have quite frankly, poor quality. I find the majority of the shades quite hard to wear, and for the price I would expect them to be higher quality. I'm not a hater of Lime Crime as a brand, but I don't recommend the majority of these lipsticks.

Follow on Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. Aw, for $20, it sucks that these lipsticks aren't amazing. The colors you have are so nice though, I'm especially in love with how Airborne Unicorn looks on your lips :o

    http://www.thewanderingkitsune.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Airborne Unicorn is one of the colours that I'm iffy about since it's such an unnatural colour ><

      Delete
  2. I have some LC lipsticks (Airborne Unicorn, No She Didn't, Geradium, Countessa Fluorescent, Serpentina, and Poisonberry). Some of them work well with my skin chemistry and lips (Airborne Unicorn and No She Didn’t), but others leave a slight burning sensation (Countessa Fluorescent, Geradium), are difficult to get an even application because they break up (Geradium, Countessa Fluorescent), and aren’t very pigmented (Poisonberry and Serpentina). Serpentina also bleeds outside my lip line even if I use a primer and a lip liner.

    I got them when I wasn’t so knowledgeable about lipsticks and was seduced by the packaging, really! I get lots of wear out of Airborne Unicorn, and I use the others occasionally, but they were really a waste of money for me. Plus I’m worried about the burning sensation, as there were rumours that LC was using products that were not safe for makeup, although I don’t know how true those rumours were.

    It’s a shame isn’t it, because the colours are so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny! The ones that look second hand actually came from my friend who gave them to me because they felt like they were burning her lips too! Retrofuturist bled really badly on me too, which was surprising since it's one of the waxier textures. The rumours and controversy around LC is so frustrating, I don't know what to believe anymore, but I don't think these are great quality anyway, so eh!

      Delete

This blog is no longer run or moderated. Please visit me at beccam.net if you want to chat!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...